First, an update on last night’s commitments to not eat after dinner and to rock two whole Jillian dvds. Success! Although Jillian sort of made me cry… I definitely required some breaks and barely finished the second video.
Super productive day, overall. It began with a three mile early morning dog walk and ended with the happiest of family dinners.
My contribution tonight: Mint pesto (to be rolled chicken) and zucchini. The menu was surprisingly low-carb. And I didn’t even have to suggest it! They know me so well… Thanks to our fearless leader, Bronwyn, for hosting.
Mmmm, raw chicken:
Friend Ben, pic by Sara:
Chicken/mint pesto rollups, zucchini, asparagus quiche, quinoa/cranberry quinoa:
Salad! By Trevor!
Watching the sunset during an after-dinner walk in front of a random house:
Sara’s dessert bowl 🙂 I tasted the cake… bad idea.
**Thanks to our profesh photog, Sara, for her skillz behind the cam tonight.
Ok, here’s the recipe from wholeliving.com:
Rolled Chicken Brests with Almond-Mint Pesto and Zucchini
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
* 3 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces each), cut into 3-by-1/2-inch strips
* Olive-oil cooking spray
* 2 garlic cloves, smashed
* 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
* FOR THE SEASONING
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* FOR THE PESTO
* 1 ounce whole blanched almonds (about 1/4 cup)
* 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
* 1 1/4 cups loosely packed fresh mint
* 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino cheese (about 1 ounce)
* 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Toast almonds in a skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool completely. Process almonds and shallot in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Add 1 cup mint; pulse a few times until coarsely chopped. Add cheese and oil; pulse a few times until combined. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. One at a time, place chicken breast halves on a cutting board between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with the flat side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a small, heavy skillet until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle each piece all over with 1/8 teaspoon salt; season with pepper.
3. Put breast halves on a cutting board, smooth side down, and spread evenly with pesto. Roll up chicken, starting with the pointed tip of each piece. Secure with two toothpicks, pushing them in sideways at an angle; set aside.
4. Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add zucchini and garlic; season with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini just turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, tossing occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; season with pepper. Transfer zucchini to a medium bowl, and cover with foil.
5. Wipe skillet clean. Coat with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add rolled chicken, and cook, turning to brown all sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes, and cut each roll into 5 pieces. Toss reserved zucchini with 1/4 cup mint. Divide zucchini and chicken among four plates.